Articles Tagged with Property Distribution

When parents have a home that they would like to one day pass to their children, they may worry about the logistics of this process. It is safe to say that creating an estate plan is the best way to ensure children will one way receive the assets and property that the parents wish to give them. However, within estate planning, there are multiple ways to do this—whether including it in a will for the children to receive upon the individual’s passing or gifting the funds from selling the property. Below are various options on how to pass property onto children—along with the various legal and tax implications of each choice.

Giving a House to Heirs in a Will

The most common way that individuals will leave property to family, especially children, is to bequeath the assets in a will. In doing this, the parents would write in the will that the children are to be given the house after the death of the last parent. One benefit of including property, like a house, in the will is that children will be given the property on a stepped-up basis. This means the property’s value is adjusted to its fair market value and reduces the capital gains tax owed by the beneficiary. However, the beneficiary may still be liable for estate taxes, unlike if the property is gifted in a trust.

Gifting the Property to Children in a Trust

Some parents would rather be able to give their children more money, rather than property after they pass away. The best way to do this is to create a revocable trust rather than leaving the property to the children in the will. In this case, after the parents die, the property is sold, and the funds from the sale are given to the children. For example, the parents would create a revocable trust and name a trustee. Once the parents passed away, the trustee would then sell the property and then the funds from the sale would be given to the listed beneficiaries.

Continue reading

MP900442275The European Union has put into effect new rules on inheritance laws that allow people to select which country’s laws they want to have applied to their wills. Americans who own property in the EU that they wish to pass on through their estate need to prepare for this change.

In the past, if you had a will written and executed in one country, and you died in that country, the law of that country would govern the distribution of your estate. A new rule from the European Union that is currently in effect will give you the option to choose which country’s laws you want to apply to your will. The country you have chosen must be designated in your will.

Thus, for example, if a German is living in Italy, he or she can write a will to be used in Italy but that applies German law. This is not limited to nations in Europe. An American living in Europe could chose to apply US law. The Connexion reported on this new rule in "New EU inheritance rules now in force ."

Contact Information